• Winner of the 2001 Career Book of the Year award from ForeWord Magazine
• By the authors of the international bestseller, Repacking Your Bags (more than 220,000 copies sold)
• Through practical advice and a breakthrough exercise-Calling Cards-helps readers identify their callings and choose a way of life and work consistent with their gifts, passions, and values
• Takes a challenging concept-calling-and makes it accessible and practical to our everyday lives
• Numerous real-life stories and examples offer hope that meaningful work is possible and within our grasp
Everyone wants to live a life that enables them to make the most of their unique gifts, interests, and passions-to find their true calling, the work they were born to do. Whistle While You Work is a liberating guide that uses powerful stories and exercises to help readers find truly satisfying, fulfilling work consistent with their deepest values.
The authors combine a thoughtful and practical discussion about calling with examples showing how to apply these ideas to one's life. They mix in dozens of inspiring stories featuring individuals who have found, or are in the process of finding, their calling with straightforward advice and suggestions on how to discover one's calling. Most importantly, they provide readers with a solid path for embracing calling, a subject usually addressed abstractly in a useful, fun, and systematic way.
Through a unique Calling Card exercise that features a guided exploration of 52 "natural preferences" -- such as Advancing Ideas, Doing the Numbers, Building Relationships, Performing Events -- the book gives readers a new way to detect and reflect on the core of their life's work. By using this and other tools in the book, readers develop their own answers to three critical questions:
What gift do I naturally give to others?
What gift do I most enjoy giving to others?
What gift have I most often given to others?
In answering those questions, they will reveal to themselves their calling-and ultimately move toward new realms of success and fulfillment.
Whistle While You Work is an inspiring, effective, and entertaining approach to discovering one's calling. It will equip all of us with the mind-set, stories, coaching, and, perhaps most importantly, the hope we need to find our way ahead-and see a clear picture of what our right work is and what to do with our limited time here on Earth.