We only ship to addresses in the USA. Live somewhere else? Please order from our international distributor. Click Here
Product added to carts.
ONLINE TRAINING PROGRAM DIRECTOR
BERRETT-KOEHLER PUBLISHERS, INC.
REPORTS TO: CEO/CFO
SUPERVISES: Online Training Program staff members
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, full-time
The main purpose of this role is to push Berrett-Koehler beyond the reaches of its core competency as a book publisher and to cement its place in the world as a thriving media enterprise, resulting in a solid increase in Berrett-Koehler’s revenue and overall profits. As an initial step in this direction, an energetic and collaborative spirit is needed to lead, further develop, and scale BK’s recently launched Online Training Program (OTP) business line.
● Lead strategy for OTP product development roadmap
● Manage P&L for each product, annual revenues and profitability, and multi-year forecasts
● Lead business planning for OTP
● Identify target markets, opportunities, and verticals
● Develop new business opportunities with current and prospective authors, organizations, and partners
● Lead development of new direct-to-consumer digital product line, including summits, courses, and other digital products/assets
● Manage relationship with key partners
● In collaboration with the Digital Marketing Director, develop a BK brand around the OTP that supports the larger BK brand
● In collaboration with the Digital Marketing Director, develop and manage tech stack to support digital products and marketing
● Keep updated on latest trends and changes that affect the OTP
● Manage strategy consulting, and oversee and delegate key external agency and expert relationships (e.g., advertising firms, copywriters, and video production teams)
● Develop other parts of the business, such as operations, customer service, design/production, marketing, sales processes and capacities, in order to scale
● As a division leader, contribute to the professional and career development of the OTP staff
● As management team member, contribute to all aspects of the company
● Oversee editorial, design, production, sales/marketing, and operations staff members associated with the OTP
● Oversee editorial, design, production, and sales/marketing, and operations functions, including product conception, instructor and speaker recruitment, course co-design, video shoots and editing, technology infrastructure support, event marketing campaigns, broadcast operations, customer support, and development and publishing of evergreen products
● Optimize multiple revenue streams per product in collaboration with the Digital Marketing Group and Operations department (initial broadcast, evergreen product, splinter products, licensed assets, etc. via acquired email lists from previous products and services)
● Manage Publication Board for OTP products and services
● Perform as project lead on select high-profile products
● Develop curriculum in certain target areas
● Recruit speakers for online summits and instructors for online courses
● Grow affiliate partnership program and recruit and develop affiliate partnerships
● Manage media assets (video, audio, bonus gifts, transcripts, transcripts, etc.) database
● Attend online-training conferences and master courses, join associations, and conduct market research to stay current on industry trends and developments
● In collaboration with the Digital Marketing Director, co-manage the Digital Marketing Group to
○ execute OTP product launches, evergreen funnels, and other marketing campaigns
○ execute demand-generation strategy that supports entire business
○ optimize owned, earned, and paid media efforts
● Collaborate with departments of legacy publishing business, share customer lists, and cross-sell products and services with up-sell and down-sell offerings
● Performance is measured by achievement of financial, mission achievement, values alignment, and stewardship measures established by CEO/CFO
● Prepare and present status reports to include key metrics in weekly meeting with CEO/CFO
● Report on state of the OTP business in monthly staff meeting
● Adhere to all BK performance standards: quality, accountability, initiative, development, attitude, and citizenship
● Participate in company staff meetings and other company meetings
● Participate in company projects, discussions, activities, author events, etc.
● Follow company policies regarding expense reporting, company travel, benefits, workplace rules, other human resource policies, etc.
ONLINE TRAINING PROGRAM DIRECTOR
BERRETT-KOEHLER PUBLISHERS, INC.
Berrett-Koehler Publishers (“BK”) is an award-winning and innovative independent publishing company. Founded in 1992, BK is headquartered in Oakland, California, was recently named the independent publishing company of the year, and has been continuously profitable for 15 years in a row. Our books, audios, and videos are sold all over the world and we also host online summits and offer online training resources. We are dedicated to an ambitious mission: Connecting People and Ideas to Create a World That Works for All. Through our groundbreaking resources on business, management, training, current affairs, personal growth, self-help, and other areas, we strive to challenge conventional thinking, introduce new ideas, and foster positive change on individual, organizational, and societal levels. We offer a work environment that is participative, collaborative, and flexible. We seek staff members who bring cultural, ethnic, social, and intellectual diversity. We are a Certified B Corp and a California Benefit Corp. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Online Training Program Director will lead a newly formed division of 8–10 people who will draw from the content of Berrett-Koehler’s legacy book publishing business to curate, produce, and operate online training courses, summits, and other products using combinations of pre-recorded and live video and audio, self-assessments, toolkits, workbooks, and interactive applications. You will be responsible for setting goals and priorities, achieving results, and fostering entrepreneurial spirit and full engagement within the division. As a Berrett-Koehler Publishers management team member, you will collaborate with multiple department heads and staff members.
● You’re on a mission to change the world for the better, by helping people to find and learn what they need to develop and grow.
● You’re someone who loves getting to know and understand customer needs. You can translate those needs, both spoken and unspoken, into great user experiences.
● You have stretched both your right and left brains in previous positions and bring these gifts to Berrett-Koehler.
● You believe in stewardship and servant leadership, and value optimizing both relationship and results in your approach to management.
● You love to evangelize new ideas and persuade people to try new products and services.
● You love to close financial deals and have a proven track record.
● You love to negotiate in ways that all parties win.
● You are data driven and a market-research enthusiast.
● You have good design and marketing intuition.
● You’re self-driven and resourceful, with an entrepreneurial mindset.
● You’ve got proven analytical capabilities and are comfortable with both big picture and detailed thinking.
● You’re an effective project manager, and you know how to lead a cross-functional team through all stages of development.
● BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience
● Ten years general management experience, managing teams of ten or more staff members, including management of remote staff
● Five years of sales and/or business-development experience
● Five years of P&L responsibility with financial forecasting
● Five years of training experience (synchronous, asynchronous, classroom, and online)
● Five years of selling and marketing high-priced ($500-$2,000) products and services
● Three years of online marketing experience, especially familiarity with the Launch Formula pioneered by Jeff Walker
● Three years of technology or software experience
● Book publishing experience
● Academic experience in curriculum building
● MBA or equivalent graduate degree is a plus
Health, Dental, Disability, and Life insurance
Flexible Spending Account plan, 401K, and ESOP
Email [email protected] with a cover letter and resume.