We only ship to addresses in the USA. Live somewhere else? Please order from one of our international distributors. Click Here
Trade and International Sales Account Coordinator
Berrett-Koehler Publishers (“BK”) is an award-winning and innovative independent publishing company. Founded in 1992, BK is headquartered in Oakland, California, was recently named the independent publishing company of the year and has been continuously profitable for 15 years in a row. Our books, audios, and videos are sold all over the world and we also host online summits and offer online training resources. We are dedicated to an ambitious mission: Connecting People and Ideas to Create a World That Works for All. Through our groundbreaking resources on business, management, training, current affairs, personal growth, self-help, and other areas, we strive to challenge conventional thinking, introduce new ideas, and foster positive change on individual, organizational, and societal levels. We offer a work environment that is participative, collaborative, and flexible. We seek staff members who bring cultural, ethnic, social, and intellectual diversity. We are a Certified B Corp and a California Benefit Corp. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are seeking a new Trade and International Sales Specialist who is interested in working in a dynamic nonfiction book publisher and helping us take systems around our data management and trade and international distribution to the next level. The right candidate will be curious about how to continue supporting the growth of our sales in these areas.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Partner with Berrett-Koehler’s trade bookstore distributor, Penguin Random House Publisher Services, to maximize US and international sales, including:
• Coordinating new book information and seasonal publishing plans with our editorial staff
• Overseeing book data management, including communicating accurate book data and marketing information on our new books, card decks, and miscellaneous products
• Maintaining and building relationships with International and Canadian sales teams and coordinating author travel and international orders
• Maximizing sales through Amazon.com through follow up on backlist titles, breaking publicity and promotion, and offering advice to our sales reps to plan effective promotions
Participating on our trade show planning team and attend trade shows as needed
• Recruiting, training, and supervising sales and marketing Interns
• Planning strategy around trade and consumer ads to support sales
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Detail-oriented and have the ability to organize and manage many different responsibilities
• Track record of performing responsibilities with accuracy, completeness, timeliness, and efficiency through paid and/or volunteer work
• Track record of being accountable for meeting deadlines through paid and/or volunteer work
• Undergraduate college degree or equivalent experience
• Be proficient at Office Suite for Mac (including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), Filemaker Pro or other database experience, and Asana or other project management tools
• 1-3 years’ experience working at a trade book publisher preferred
• 1-3 years’ experience as an account coordinator
The preferred start date for this position is January 7.
• Salary $ 56,000
• Health, Dental, Disability and Life insurance
• Flexible Spending Account plan, 401K and ESOP
To be considered, you must send resume and a detailed cover letter via email (several pages long if necessary), stating why you are interested in the position, your qualifications, how you have been successful in similar jobs or volunteer work based on the qualifications above (please be specific about your accomplishments), and your personal qualities that account for your success to: https://berrett-koehler-publishers-1.workable.com/jobs/885133
See our website for further information: http://www.bkconnection.com
TRADE AND INTERNATIONAL SALES ACCOUNT COORDINATOR
REPORTS TO: VP of Sales and Marketing
VP of International Sales & Business Development
SUPERVISES: Sales and Marketing Interns
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt, Full-time
Partner with Penguin Random House Publisher Services (PRHPS) to maximize US and international sales per business plan projections and help BK staff access information and learn how to use PRHPS systems to maximize our relationship and be as productive as possible
• Oversee PRHPS metadata management, including communicating accurate metadata and marketing information on our new books, card decks, and miscellaneous products
• Maintain and build relationships with PRHPS international and Canadian sales teams and coordinate author travel and international orders
• Maximize sales through Amazon.com for PRHPS through follow up on backlist titles, breaking publicity and promotion, and offering advice to our sales reps to plan effective promotions
• Oversee Internal and External Launch schedules and the preparation of materials for the launch meetings
• Support trade show planning and logistics
• Recruit, train, and supervise sales and marketing Interns
• Plan and create trade and consumer ads
PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE PUBLISHER SERVICES KEY CONTACT (45%)
• Be critical point person for PRHPS data and sales and marketing activities
• Facilitate the PRHPS relationship for BK staff around data and sales and marketing
• Oversee training in each department on how to access and use PRHPS-related documents and tools, including scheduling regular trainings as needed
• Create and upload all incoming seasonal data (TI sheets, sales kit materials, etc.), including for BK Professional titles
• Oversee that all metadata in the PRHPS is accurate and contact those in charge to fix problems. Oversee the choosing of BISAC codes and keywords to maximize discoverability of our books and review at internal launch meetings.
• Oversee internal launches within the company and external launches and sales conferences for all BK titles. Follow up with BK staff to make sure all follow up items from launch meetings and sales conferences are completed.
• Maintain templates and timelines for PRHPS SPANS and look to improve processes internally to submit time-sensitive data to PRHPS for all titles
• Schedule monthly meetings with VP of Sales and Marketing and Managing Director, Editorial to make sure that decisions and actions internally align with PRHPS schedules and processes
• Be present at PRHPS related events as a representative for BK
• Work with PRHPS to ensure galleys are distributed to correct sales reps and for Amazon Vine Reviewers, as appropriate
• Document information and procedures on working with PRHPS on an ongoing basis for staff and for this job
• Track PRHPS US sales twice a month and for monthly staff meetings
• Distribute relevant PRHPS sales call reports to relevant BK staff
INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION THROUGH PRHPS (20%)
• Maintain and build relationships with PRHPS international sales team
• Inform international sales team about individual and bulk orders, author orders, author events, and author travel in their territories. Share relevant marketing information including publicity, author videos, etc.
• Track the international sales orders from PRHPS and, if necessary, remind them to place their orders in advance of ship dates of new books
• Draft the annual sales forecast for international distribution territories, run them by the VP of International Sales, and make sure they get loaded into the business plan
• Give input on special discounts, printing arrangements, and other information relevant to international sales team
• Own the process of getting books into print with PRH India. Coordinate with PRH to review forthcoming lists seasonally, identify titles to print, secure ISBN’s, and submit title load forms to PRH. Maintain an up-to-date list of titles in print and forthcoming in India.
• Track international and Canada PRHPS sales twice a month and compile monthly international sales report for staff meetings and provide analysis at the meeting
AMAZON.COM PRINT SALES (10%)
• Maximize sales through Amazon.com with particular focus on key franchise titles and titles getting breaking publicity and promotion
• Relay breaking publicity or promotion activities for backlist titles directly to Amazon Sales Team
• After PRHPS Launch meeting and before Sales Conferences meet with VP of Sales and Marketing and Associate Director of Sales and Marketing to plan out Amazon priority titles and recommend promotions. Send recommendations to Amazon Sales Team monthly. Coordinate with other staff managing Amazon kindle promotions.
• Communicate confirmed Amazon promotions with the author, their agent, the editor, marketing team leader, and put them in Filemaker Ads database, book google doc, and the Promotions Calendar
• Track effectiveness of Amazon promotions as much as possible and review with Amazon Sales Team on a periodic basis. Ask other publishers what they are finding effective in their Amazon promotions, and use their best practices to improve BK’s performance.
CONSUMER ADS (5%)
• Plan annual business plan expenses for consumer ads and plan out ad strategy with Marketing Team Leaders each season after PRHPS Launch meetings
• Set up advertising/promotion in print and online mediums as needed, particularly to trade ad channels, including Publishers Weekly, Shelf awareness, Ingram Advance, Baker & Taylor
• Assist in management of giveaways (for email collection) and sales
• Coordinate with Production department or outside designers to produce ad materials
• Coordinate with Digital Marketing Team to produce digital assets needed for ads, such as landing pages, follow up emails, if needed, etc.
• Track the effectiveness of campaigns
• Log all activity in the Sales & Marketing Ads database, book google docs, and promotions calendar
SUPERVISE INTERNS (5%)
• Provide mentorship and supervise Sales & Marketing interns
• Coordinate with staff in Sales and Marketing Department for interns to work on special projects
TRADE SHOWS (10%)
• Support the Sales and Marketing Assistant in implementing trade show planning and logistics for ATD, AoM, Forum on Workplace Inclusion, Bay Area Book Festival, Facing Race, Howard Zinn Fair, and other shows where we exhibit and sell books
• Participate on the trade show planning committee
• When necessary attend trade shows to help in spreading BK’s message
ORGANIZATIONAL CITIZENSHIP (5%)
• Participate in bi-weekly sales & marketing department meetings
• Participate in monthly staff meetings, monthly publication board meetings (on a voluntary basis), seasonal launch meetings, author day lunches (except for BK Professional titles), and author day marketing meetings (to review your part of the marketing plan)
• Follow all company policies in Employee Handbook regarding expense reporting, company travel, benefits, workplace rules, etc.