We only ship to addresses in the USA. Live somewhere else? Please order from our international distributor. Click Here
Product added to carts.
BK Magazine BK Life
Posted by Jeevan Sivasubramaniam, Managing Director, Editorial, Berrett-Koehler Publishers Inc.
In The Arbinger Institute's latest book, the authors describe the importance of identifying the limiting factors of a self-focused inward mindset and changing it to an others-focused outward mindset. To change what we do, we need to see how we currently relate to the world.
One of the things that most impacts our mindset is when we focus too much inwards on our own beliefs and those articles of thought that best serve our own needs above those of others. An inward mindset ignores the outside and can be so consumed with itself that it even ceases to be rational. Here are five examples of groups with extreme mindsets that are so inward-facing that they are almost totally ignorant of all else. They are almost comical, but keep in mind that adherents are very serious about them.
1. Iglesia Maradoniana: The Iglesia Maradoniana, or the Church of Maradona, is a religion that worships the Argentinian football player Diego Maradona. The symbol for the church is D10S, which combines the Spanish word for Gods, Dios, and the shirt number of Maradona, 10. The church was founded on October 3rd 1998 by fans that claim Maradona is a god in human form. While some define the Iglesia Maradoniana as a syncretism of Catholicism rather than a religion of its own, it has undeniable similarities to other mainstream faiths, such as it’s own set of commandments and prayers. It also boasts a membership of over 80,000 adherents from over 60 countries.
2. The Church of Euthanasia: This group believes that the human population of the planet has grown out of control both in terms of size and the amount of damage it does. Therefore, the group promotes the use of suicide, abortion, cannibalism (of those already deceased--the church expressly forbids killing), and, of course, sodomy as means of addressing the population issue. Proclaiming itself as “a non-profit educational foundation devoted to restoring balance between Humans and the remaining species on Earth”, the Church of Euthanasia is a vocal opponent to everyone from anti-abortion groups to espousing the consumption of human corpses. Started by the Rev, Chris Korda in Massachusetts, USA, the Church of Euthanasia has only one commandment, “Thou Shalt Not Procreate”.
3. The Prince Philip Movement: The Yaohnanen tribe on the southern island of Tanna in Vanuatu are convinced that Prince Philip, consort of Queen Elizabeth II, is the embodiment of a spirit that was born of the volcano of their island, the pale-skinned son of the mountain spirit. The Yaohnanen tribesmen carry out ceremonies and rituals including a special festival on June 10th, Prince Philip’s birthday, to which neighboring tribes are invited. Their expectation is to see the Prince return to them and when he doesn’t they, like all good disciples, know that his spirit is with them even if he can’t be there in person.
4. Raelism: Racecar driver Claude Vorilhons announced that in 1973 he was contacted by aliens and made a go-between for human-alien relations. The aliens dubbed him Rael (hence “Raelism”). Rael claims the aliens took him to the planet Elohim where, in addition to hanging out with the aliens themselves, he got a chance to meet Jesus, Buddha, Joseph Smith, and Confucius. Raelists believe that humans were created in an alien lab from alien DNA 25,000 years ago and that these aliens will be returning to earth in 2025. The claim to have about 30,000 followers.
5. The Creativity Movement: The Creativity Movement is a racialist, and White-supremacist organization that advocates a "White Religion" called Creativity. Though not Christian in any real sense, the Creativity Movement is guided by elements of a pseudo-Christian racial Manichaeanism. The group also denies the Holocaust, embraces racial neo-eugenics with a religious mission that is dedicated to the "survival, expansion and advancement of the White Race exclusively." Among their “commandments” are the directives to populate the earth with White people exclusively and to recognize the inferiority of Jews and peoples of color.
After reading this, I am wondering how could I possibly add a plausible comment. Wow!
I agree--it was fun for me to research these--a strong reminder of what happens when an inward mindset goes truly inward to the point of no return!